Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Math, Fractals, Spatial, Pathagorean, What?




I just returned from week 6 of Cook Without a Book. She cooked classic roasted chicken with herb pan gravy, roasted vegetables, and eggplant gratin. It was the most food we have been fed so far. We also had 2 appetizers, cheese crostini and turkey sausage, pizza sauce, and cheese melted in a phyllo cups. It was like a little party in my mouth!
Now to the serious side of quilting. We had our guild meeting today and a new member did the presentation. She is a math teacher and also taught english. I continue to be astounded by the level of intelligence in quilters. I have been in workshops with authors, physicians, engineers, teachers, and even a rocket scientist. The list goes on but I don't want to type any more. So back on track, she discussed alot of terminology that I apparently had forgotten from my days in geometry. Probably because we made fun of my geometry teachers clothes. He was a young guy trying to be cool and one day he wore pieced pants. They were plaid squares sewn together, yellow, brown, green, and white and a brown polyester shirt. I called him mr. hot pants out loud. I don't know why I didn't get sent to the office but I didn't. You can see why I don't remember my math. Ok, her name is Diana Venters and she talked about polygonal fractal quilts, linear fractal quilts, spatial quilts, fibonacci and golden numbers. Her book is an actual school teaching book for grades 6-12, "More Mathematical Quilts" (no sewing required) by Key Curriculum Press. This would definitely be a cool way to learn math in school!
I actually looked up the Fibonacci numbers on line and found it fascinating that they occur in nature especially flower petals. Now there always seems to be an exception to the rule but I will keep looking into it.
Song of the day: "Walking On the Moon" by The Police

1 comment:

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

I got that one because I have him added as a myspace friend. Other wise you can find just about any thing by doing a google search. Those flowers are really pretty. Sounds like you quilters have some pretty techno lingo. Ha ha...